By Jen McDonough
- Who was going to hire me?
- How was I going to go about getting booked?
- What topics would event coordinators hire me to speak on?
- What did I need to have on my website?
- Who was my ideal audience?
- How much should I charge?
- How was I going to find the time, energy, and money to build my speaking business around my full-time job and family?
Then there was the whole building my speaking platform. For those trying to build your own platforms, have you ever felt like you are so behind before you even start in trying to keep up with all the latest and greatest things we are SUPPOSED to be doing (i.e. social media, blogging, podcasting, and the list goes on and on)? That was me!!
Last but not least, there was all the emotional aspects that come with trying building a business. Mine included:
- Fear of leaving a “traditional secure job” to something that was on my own and “unpredictable.”
- Anxiety in wondering if I would ever have what it takes to live out my dreams while financially supporting my family
- Frustration of knowing where my purpose and passion was, but not sure how to get to where I was suppose to be.
Have you ever had similar struggles?
- You have a message to share, but are not sure how to get it out there.
- You yearn to leave your job, but not sure how to make the transition while supporting your family.
- You want to do what you are supposed to do, but find your time, energies and monies DRAINED by all the things you are you are trying to keep up with doing.
Many of us have been where you are. At times it can feel like our goals and dreams are so far off.
Today, I want to share with you three of the biggest game changers that allowed me to transition from where many of you are today to creating the speaking business of my dreams:
- Invest in You: Investing in YOU is one of the best investments you can make. Learning how to remove self-limiting barriers, push past your obstacles and grow from your experiences will always serve you well. A great book to get started on this is The Big Leap.
- Invest in Your Business: Coaching is one of the best ways I know to get from where you want to be to where you want to go. Getting to work with Jane Atkinson has been one of the best investments I have made in allowing me to move past MANY obstacles to having a well paying and fulfilling speaking business (seriously, one booking paid for her coaching services – click HERE for more info).
- Focus: So many times we get wrapped up in trying to be everything to everyone that we end up wasting a lot of time, energy, and money on things that will not getting us to where we want to go. Building my client lists to use in my marketing efforts has been one of the best investments of time and money to getting me booked as a speaker. Because I have learned how to build my client lists like no other, I am excited to now offer this service to speakers who want to get booked (click HERE for more info).
My hope is that you too will catapult your speaking business to new levels.
What have you found to move your business from dream to reality?
In her roles as a motivational storyteller, engaging Amazon Top 100 author, and Internet radio show host, Jen McDonough (pronounced “McDunna”) aka The Iron Jen, motivates, encourages, and inspires audiences to overcome their obstacles to become their greatest selves. Jen and her family are most known for paying off over $212,000 worth of debt and medical expenses in four years. Their story has been featured in local, national and international media. Jen is also an 8-time national weightlifter and 2-time US Olympic Festival medal winner as well as an Ironman triathlete. All three of her books have hit Amazon’s Top 100 categories including her book 5 Minutes a Day to Living Beyond Rich which hit #1 under Amazon’s budgeting category.
Jen is currently training to obtain her Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certifications, however she needs to first get over her fear of tight spaces, heights, and fire.
She lives in Lindstrom MN with her 4 awesome kids, 1 handsome husband, 2 naughty dogs and 1 ugly mortgage. You can find out more about her at www.TheIronJen.com.